In accordance with section 170.011 RSMo, no student shall graduate from any public or private Missouri school unless he/she has “satisfactory passed an examination on the provisions and principles of the Constitution of the United States and of the State of Missouri, and in American History and American Institutions.”
Who has already satisfied the Missouri Constitution degree requirement?
- Students who have taken or plan on taking one of the following classes at Missouri Western: HIS 140 American History to 1865, HIS 150 American History since 1865, or PSC 101 American National Government.
- Students who have transferred to Missouri Western with a Missouri Associate of Arts (AA) degree or a Missouri Bachelor’s degree.
- Students who have successfully completed a transfer course or courses (which contain the Missouri Constitution curriculum) as evaluated by Missouri Western and/or who have passed a Missouri Constitution competency test. In these cases, the degree requirement will show met in Griffon GPS.
Who needs to satisfy the Missouri Constitution degree requirement?
- Students with IB, AP, or CLEP credit for HIS 140, 150 or PSC 101. Griffon GPS does not show this degree requirement met, although the general studies course shows satisfied.
- Students with transfer credit for HIS 140, 150 or PSC 101. Griffon GPS does not show this degree requirement met, although the general studies course shows satisfied.
How can the Missouri Constitution degree requirement be met at Missouri Western? In one of three ways:
- Successfully complete one of the following courses at Missouri Western: HIS 140, HIS 150 or PSC 101 OR
- Enroll in and successfully complete PSC 111 Understanding the Missouri Constitution (1 credit hour) at Missouri Western (primarily for transfer students) OR
- Successfully complete the Missouri Constitution Competency Test (available to degree-seeking students only). To register for the test click below.
Important Test-out Information:
- There will be 75 random questions from a test bank.
- 90 minutes will be allowed to complete the test.
- Correctly answer 45 or more questions out of 75 to pass the test.
- The test may be taken up to 3 times and is free of charge. New questions will be asked on each test. After the third failed attempt, please contact the Registrar’s Office regarding enrollment in PSC 111 Understanding the Missouri Constitution online course for 1 credit hour or enrolling in one of Missouri Western’s general studies courses HIS 140, HIS 150, or PSC 101.
For questions, contact the Registrar’s Office – (816) 271-4211