Student check-list:

  1. Complete and submit the Check-In form (Spring 2020). This is a critical step to help students stay current in the university policy, as well as compliant with the federal regulations.  Complete the process within 5 days at the beginning of the semester. Please use your Missouri Western Goldlink username and login.
  2. Print a new I-94 card if you plan on traveling outside of the U.S. during the school break. Keep a copy for your records and bring one copy of the I-94 to office. Deadline is the first Friday during the 1st week of classes.
  3. If you are plan to visit or travel to your home country (or anywhere outside of the U.S.) during the next university break (thanksgiving, winter, spring break or summer), be sure to read and understand the “Before You Travel” checklist.  If necessary, you may make an appointment with Ms. Fumi Cheever at least one week before scheduled travel date to obtain a travel signature or other immigration-related questions. Bring original I-20, passport and next semester full time course schedule.
  4. For the community protection, the University requires students, staff and faculty undergo some health assessments. Those who have spent over eight weeks or longer outside of the United States during the school break are expected to visit the Esry Health Center (Blum 203). If needed, the TB blood test may be required. Visit the health center for personal assessment.
  5. Report physical address changes within 5 days to the University. (a) Go to your GoldLink account, and update the mailing address with the Registrar’s office. Also, (b) send email to International Center at This is a required SEVP/SEVIS regulation.
  6. All F1 and J1 visa holders are required to purchase University insurance. The cost will be charged to your semester bill within the first month of the semester begin date. Review your bill in your Goldlink account and arrange payment accordingly.
  7. International students may work part-time on-campus up to 20 hours each week. Students may find details regarding working on campus.
  8. Students may fill out a request form to obtain letters to apply for the following:
    1. drivers’ license
    2. social security card for on-campus employment
    3. invitation to commencement ceremony

What is…

Electronic I-94

The I-94 Form is issued by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to prove your legal entrance into America on your arrival.  It also contains information about the length of your visa.  If you arrived in the U.S. in May 2013 or later, you will have an electronic I-94. (If you arrived before May 2013, you filled out a paper I-94 that was stamped and stapled to the inside of your passport.

When you arrive in the U.S., you must find and print your I-94 arrival information on the website.  Click on “Get Most Recent I-94” from the top bar.

Please print the I-94 form immediately after your arrival because this form is important in your future staying in America.  Also, student will need this form to apply for social security number, state driving license, OPT, etc.

Student should print TWO copies:

  1. Keep one for your personal records; keep with the immigration documents such as passport, and the I-20/DS-2019.
  2. Bring a copy of the I-94 form to International Center located in Blum 210.
International students in the United States are strongly encouraged to complete and submit the tax reporting on income to the Internal Revenue Services (IRS) before the deadline.  While it does not effect student or scholar immigration visa status, it may impact student’s ability to claim or pursue residency in the future.

The staff in the International Center is not trained nor qualified to provide advice to students.  Therefore, we invite and arrange for the H&R BLOCK company to campus and assist students during select dates in the spring semester.  The workshop is generally free to the students, unless the student need help filing the income tax for a tax refund.  Students who missed the sessions may arrange for an individual appointment at the closest tax specialist.  Tax law changes often, therefore, do not rely on your helpful friends.

(1) Students who worked at any time during the previous fiscal year (January-December) must bring the following documentations:

  • Passport, and visa (in the passport)
  • I-20, or DS-2019 form
  • Social Security Number, or SSN
  • W2 form (wage and salary report from employer)

(2) Students who did not work during the previous fiscal year (January-December) should bring the following documentations, and is required to complete and submit Form 8843.

  • Passport, and visa (in the passport)
  • I-20, or DS-2019 form

Do I need a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) to file Form 8843?

The general answer is no. Non-resident international students and scholars, for tax purposes, who are not required to file an income tax return (Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ), but are required to file Form 8843 do not need to apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If an international student or scholar has been issued a SSN or ITIN, the number should be included on Form 8843.

An exception to this rule is for individuals who are eligible to be claimed as exemptions on a U.S. income tax return. If a dependent can be claimed they must have an SSN or ITIN. Only dependents from a limited list of countries may claim an exemption for their dependents on their U.S. income tax return (Form 1040NR). An exemption for a spouse or dependents is only applicable if the country of tax residence (for the F-1 or J-1) is:

  • Canada
  • Korea
  • Mexico
  • India (applicable only to F-1 and J-1 students)

(3) Students who did not work during the previous fiscal year (January-December), BUT receives athletic scholarship that is taxable such as the cost of room/board.  Student should bring the following documentations:

  • Passport, and visa (in the passport)
  • I-20, or DS-2019 form
  • Social security number (if available,) or ITIN number (individual taxpayer identification number)
  • 1042-S form (if student qualified for tax treaty, or university scholarship in excess of tuition/fees)

How you report any taxable scholarship or fellowship grant income depends on which return you file.

  • Form 1040EZ.   If you file Form 1040EZ, include the taxable amount in the total on line 1. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount in the space to the left of line 1.
  • Form 1040A.   If you file Form 1040A, include the taxable amount in the total on line 7. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount in the space to the left of line 7.
  • Form 1040.   If you file Form 1040, include the taxable amount in the total on line 7. If the taxable amount was not reported on Form W-2, also enter “SCH” and the taxable amount on the dotted line next to line 7.
  • Form 1040NR.   If you file Form 1040NR, report the taxable amount on line 12. Generally, you must report the amount shown on Form(s) 1042-S, Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding, box 2. See the Instructions for Form 1040NR for more information.
  • Form 1040NR-EZ.   If you file Form 1040NR-EZ, report the taxable amount on line 5. Generally, you must report the amount shown on Form(s) 1042-S, box 2. See the Instructions for Form 1040NR-EZ for more information.

International students on either F-1 or J-1 visa may work part-time on University campus.  However, before you can apply for a Social Security Card, you MUST first have a job offer from an employer.  Students may apply for part-time employment via the GriffonLink through the Career Development officeAramark food service, or Barnes and Noble bookstore on-campus.

After you successfully interviewed for the position and received the job offer, please direct your hiring supervisor to fill out the ISS Student Employment Form

  • The form will allow the International Center to issue a letter that you can take to the Social Security office.  The letter must be signed by your supervisor as well as the International Center Assistant Director, Fumi Cheever.
  • Only supervisors may fill out this form, NOT students.
  • You will be notified when your letter is ready to be picked up.
  • Apply for Social Security Card at the closest SSN Administration office, which is at 1402 North Woodbine Road in St. Joseph.
  • Bring letter from International Center Office, your passport, visa, I-20 (or DS-2019) and your I-94 card (if you last came to the U.S. after April 2013, you may need to print an electronic I-94).
  • Do NOT begin work before you receive the social security card, even if your supervisor says it is okay to work.  If your social security application is pending, you may NOT work.

To apply for a Social Security number:

  1. Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  2. Show your original documents proving your:
    1. Immigration Status – Bring your I-94 Arrival/Departure Record and I-20/DS2019
    2. Work eligibility – Provide evidence of employment (recent pay slip or a letter from your employer). Your supervisor and the international student adviser must sign and date the employment letter. This letter must describe:
      • Your job
      • Employment start date
      • The number of hours you will be working on-campus
      • Name and telephone number of your supervisor
    3. Age – Present your birth certificate if you have it or can easily obtain it. If not, take your passport with you.
    4. Identity – Your passport and I-94 card will provide identification.

Please note:  All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. SSA will not accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

Bring your completed application form and documents to the Social Security Administration.

Address: 1402 N Woodbine Road, Saint Joseph, MO 64506
Local Number: (816) 233-2511
Office Hours:
Monday:         9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Tuesday:         9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Wednesday:   9:00 AM – 12:00 PM
Thursday:       9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Friday:            9:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Saturday & Sunday:  Closed